Everest Base Camp
Fulfill your lifelong dream and trek with us to one of the most desired places in the world, the Everest Base Camp. Join a small group of 4-12 people for a medium to challenging trek to experience a breathtaking view of the Himalayan mountain range on the Tibetan Plateau.
Everest Base Camp
There is no place on earth quite like the Everest in Tibet. Trekking to its Base Camp (from the north side) combined with authentic cultural experiences is a lifelong dream for many people. Situated at an altitude of 5,200 metres (17,060 feet), the North Base Camp is used when climbing via the northeast ridge, which offers a medium to challenging 3-4 days of trekking. One of the best options is to start at the Everest Base Camp and pass through Rombuk Monastery and Rachu valley and finish at Tingri.
The trip will begin with a flight from Chengdu, China or Kathmandu, Nepal to Lhasa. For the first few days, you will explore the wonders of the beautiful Lhasa city while acclimatizing to the altitude. Highlight experiences include a visit to the Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Square, Potala Palace, and Sera Monastery to learn about Tibetan architecture, history, and culture. When you embark on your journey to the Everest Base Camp, you will visit some of Tibet’s most popular destinations including Shigatse, Gyantse, Pelkhor Choede Chorten, Sakya Monastery and Tingri. In addition, we will take the time to introduce you to our family and friends, enjoy a walk in the barley fields and hear oral histories from the locals themselves.
- Day 1-4: Lhasa
- After a short flight over the Himalayan mountains, we will arrive in Lhasa where guests will enjoy a warm welcome reception. While acclimatizing to the altitude in Lhasa, we will explore the city by walking around the Barkhor Square and mingle with the Tibetan pilgrims. We will visit Potala Palace, Jokhang temple, and Sera monastery to learn about Tibetan architecture, history, and culture. Guests will meet Tibetan artisans and scholars to learn more about Tibetan folk arts such as painting, wood curving, and handicrafts.
- Day 5-7: Gyantse & Shigatse
- As per Tibetan tradition, we will pay homage and make an offering at the Jokhang Temple to prevent obstacles during our journey. We will then depart for Gyantse, a small agricultural town famous for its wool carpets, with a quick stop at lake Yamdrok, one of the three largest lakes in Tibet and a holy site for pilgrims. In Gyantse, we will visit the famous Pelkhor Choede Chorten (chorten means stupa in Tibetan), which was built in 1427. The monastery is famous for its superb Kumbum (“10,000 statues” in Tibetan) stupa, which according to Buddhist tradition has 108 chapels. After Gyantse, we will continue onward to Shigatse, where we will visit the gold-crowned Tashi Lhunpo monastery, the traditional seat of the successive Panchen Lamas, and enjoy one of Tibet’s most vibrant and breathtaking site. We will then drive further west to see the Sakya Monastery, traditional seat of the Sakya lineage and the birthplace of many great Tibetan scholars.
- Day 8-11: Everest Base Camp
- We will start our trekking at old Tingri and hike for about 5-7 hours each day, with elevations ranging from 4400-5300 meters (14,435-17,388 feet), through Rachu valley and finish at the Everest Base Camp (5,208 meters (17,090 feet). On a clear day, you will experience the most astonishing view of mount Everest in the day and a bright starlit sky at night at the Base Camp. NOTE: If you have trouble breathing, oxygen tanks will be available. Our staff will prepare your meals, setup the tents, and guide the ponies to carry your pack (or you, if necessary).
- Day 12-14: Lhasa or Kathmandu
- After we finish trekking at the Everest Base Camp, you have the option of traveling into Nepal or returning to Chengdu via Lhasa. If you choose to go into Nepal, we will drop you off in Dam town at the Nepal-Tibet border by the Friendship Bridge and help arrange for your transportation to Nepal (not included in this trip). If you decide to go back to Lhasa, it may take 2 straight days and you can rest and shop in Lhasa before flying back to Chengdu.
Tibet Trip…Customized Just For You
Is this not quite what you are looking for?
With access to a vast network of Tibetan travel companies and tour guides on the Tibetan Plateau, Conscious Journeys offers an incredible range of experiences with customized trips for everyone. Whether you want to stay in a monastery, celebrate your anniversary at the Everest Base Camp or take that family vacation you always wanted, we can customize a Tibet trip that is right just for you! Let us know how by filling out this Tailor Made Journey inquiry form today.