Experience a unique journey to the nomadic culture of the Zorgay grassland in Eastern Tibet. On this special trip, you will be accompanied by Yan Chun Su, director of the documentary film Drokpa, to learn about the challenges of desertification confronting Tibetan nomads.
Engage with Tibetan Nomads
Come discover a unique journey to Zorgay in eastern Tibet and experience its nomadic culture. This journey is for a small group led by Yan Chun Su, director of the documentary film Drokpa: Nomads of Tibet, and Conscious Journeys staff. Dates for the journey are July 15th to August 1, 2016, but can be adjusted if necessary. On this trip, we will visit monasteries and local communities, enjoy beautiful hikes, horse riding, singing and dancing with the nomads and listen to their incredible stories. You will learn firsthand from these nomads, who have generations of knowledge about the land and how to best protect its fragile and vitally important ecosystem. This trip will be one of the most cherished and memorable experiences of your adventure in Tibet.
About the film: Yan Chun Su’s film documents the lives of Tibetan nomads and the many challenges they face in this modern age. One of the challenges is desertification, which is pushing the nomads to the edge of their existence. Through her film, Yan Chun Su aims to raise awareness about this particular environmental issue and the importance of preserving nomadic culture.
- Day 1-2: Chengdu and Pandas
- Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan, China's southwestern province, and a major hub for all Tibetan areas. The city has a large Tibetan population with a Tibetan Quarter which is very much a “little Tibet” on its own. Chengdu is famed for its Sichuanese cuisine, especially the hotpot. This is an excellent opportunity for visitors to taste the local flavors of Sichuan. Chengdu is also home to the famous Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, a conservation center where you can view the endangered giant pandas in their natural habitat. This is a major highlight for anyone touring China and is not to be missed!
- Day 3-6: Tibetan Grasslands
- Zorgay, one of the largest grasslands on the eastern Tibetan Plateau (near the border of Gansu and Sichuan Provinces), has been home to thousands of Tibetan nomads for generations. Its stunning scenery of green grasslands, wildflowers, birds, sheep and yaks is one of the last places for experiencing an authentic Tibetan nomadic life.
- Day 7-9: Kirti Monastery
- Taktsang Lhamo Kirti Gompa and Nyawa Kirti Gompa are part of the larger Kirti Gompa, a historically important institution of the Gelug tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. This trip will include a visit to Taktsang Lhamo Kirti Gompa, which houses about 1,000 monks. The gompa is located in Taktsang Lhamo (Ch: Langmusi), a small Tibetan town surrounded by alpine forests and majestic mountains on the border of Sichuan and Gansu provinces, making it perfect for a fun hike.
- Day 10-12: Homestay
- Developing the Tibetan homestay program is both a source of income for local villagers and a unique and authentic experience for travelers. You will immerse yourself in the local culture by staying with Tibetan families and partake in their daily activities such as cooking, milking yaks, and riding horses. You will also have the opportunity to learn local dialects and volunteer.
- Day 13-14: Lhagong and Dartsendo
- We will drive back to Chengdu through Lhagong (Ch: Tagong) and Dartsendo (Ch: Kangding) in Minyak area in Kham. In Lhagong, we will visit Lhagong monastery, which houses the second most important Shakyamuni statue in Tibet. Dartsendo was the ancient trading center of the Kham area. Today, it is a thriving city with a blend of Tibetan and Chinese culture. The city has several large Buddhist monasteries and a Tibetan museum.
- Group meals
- Tibetan tour guides
- Ground transportation
- Logistical support
- Entrance fee to sight seeing venues
- Chinese visa
- International and domestic airfares
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal expenses (including individual meals, phone, internet, etc.)
Tibet Trip…Customized Just For You
Is this not quite what you are looking for?
With access to a vast network of Tibetan travel companies and tour guides on the Tibetan Plateau, Conscious Journeys offers an incredible range of experiences with customized trips for everyone. Whether you want to stay in a monastery, celebrate your anniversary at the Everest Base Camp or take that family vacation you always wanted, we can customize a Tibet trip that is right just for you! Let us know how by filling out this Tailor Made Journey inquiry form today.